Friday, December 21, 2012

PUYL Honorable Mention Album: Azealia Banks - Fantasea


I define a good album as one that I can listen to all the way through without skipping tracks.  There may be strong points and low points, but as a whole, it flows in a way that makes continuous listening enjoyable.  Often times, I won't have any idea what the names of individual songs are on my favorite albums because I never look at them.

Azealia Banks burst onto the scene last year, and this free mixtape was the highlight of her 2012.  It gathers essentially all her previous releases, except for 212, along with some new music to fill out a full length tape.  It's really good.  Azealia's sharp tongue and quick wit are on display as she goes in over a variety of adventurous beats.  This one is just an honorable mention because, for me, it didn't have the staying power of the other albums I featured.  I was really into it for a while when it came out (I even put channel ORANGE to the side for a bit), but it's not a tape I kept coming back to.  It's a strong effort nonetheless, and I will definitely still be watching for new material from the eccentric and driven Ms. Banks.

No comments:

Post a Comment