Monday, December 31, 2012

PUYL Favorite Song: AlunaGeorge - Watching Over You



British duo AlunaGeorge are going to be one of the breakout groups of 2013; don't believe me, just watch.  They may not have spent much time naming themselves, but their brilliance shines through in their music.  Singer Aluna Francis and producer George Reid combine to form this type of post-dub pop music with hearty doses of 90's R&B.  Add in dripping codeine-hop influences and you've got a stew going that might describe AlunaGeorge.  Only they have the actual recipe.

I had this song on repeat a lot this year.  A lot.  I think what struck me most was the apparent simplicity but the underlying complexity.  At face value, the plinking pianos and Aluna's rolling voice in the chorus are soothing and pleasing, giving the track a lot of repeat value.  Under all that, though, is some serious bass and Aluna does a fantastic job of changing her pitch and tone throughout the song.  George's synths and drum kicks pair with the vocals perfectly to complete the package.

This wraps up my Push Up Ya Lighter Favorites for 2012, but it certainly wasn't an exhaustive list.  I've already got posts planned to start off 2013, and I'm excited to hear and to share new music in the new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment