Monday, December 24, 2012

PUYL Favorite Song: Frank Ocean - Whip Appeal (SBTRKT Edit)


Hooold up.  I've been doing this for 2 years now.  About a third of all my posts are coming this month, and I can't say that there's been much growth for my blog, but I'm still doing it.  That's really what's most important to me.  Push Up Ya Lighter has always been just a creative outlet dealing with an area I know and love, music.  That said, I truly appreciate the views I get.  Knowing that at least a handful of people see what I write and might discover something they've never heard of makes it worthwhile for me.  So thank you.

On to the music for the day.  Frank Ocean fans didn't need to wait until the release of his album in mid summer for some refreshing new sounds from the young crooner.  Soon after the original appeared, SBTRKT grabbed 'Whip Appeal' and filled it out a little bit.  It's got that summertime feel, which is why I included it on my Glare mixtape back in August.

That picture is from Frank's set at Lollapalooza this summer, which I was lucky enough to be at.  He played a stage that was tucked away under a stand of trees, and he was the closing act for the night.  Actually, SBTRKT had played same stage the day before.  Of all the artists I saw, Frank Ocean was the only one that I made a point of watching for his entire set.  His album, channel ORANGE, had been out for about a month so I felt that he was too relevant at the time to miss.  Of course, he didn't let me down.  The stage setting, the summer night sky behind us and the Chicago skyline behind him, and the hushed lights on stage created an atmosphere that perfectly complemented Frank's powerful performance.  This man gave us one of my favorite songs of the year and it wasn't even on his album, which was one of the best of the year.  That's a true talent and I'm glad to be able to recognize and appreciate him and his music.

Download: Frank Ocean - Whip Appeal (SBTRKT Edit)

No comments:

Post a Comment