Tuesday, December 11, 2012

PUYL Favorite Video: Flying Lotus - Putty Boy Strut


Flying Lotus has always been one to push boundaries.  Preceding the release of his fourth album, Until The Quiet Comes, FlyLo put out a short film which gave fans a first chance to hear a handful of songs from the album in the setting of a rather dark, yet theatric video.  After seeing that, I wasn't sure what to expect from Putty Boy Strut.  Because my first view of the video also gave me my first listen of the song, I was initially struck by the frenetic and urgent pace.  The viewing experience is enhanced by the robots clapping along to the beat and reacting to sound changes.  I feel like I am visiting a Seussian machine world devoid of intelligent life.  The inhabitants are constantly consuming and destroying things around them... until the quiet comes and the song culminates with a symbol of the beauty of change.

No comments:

Post a Comment