Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Dom - Living In America (Gucci Mane Remix)

Wa-gwan?  Wigwam.

When I first saw that there was a remix to 'Living In America' I immediately thought of this song by James Brown, so I had that stuck in my head for a good hour.  I was totally fine with it too, I was thinking 'You do you Gucci. 2011'.  No, instead this was the Guccster going in over a track by Dom of the same name.

Listen.
Download.

I know Gucci Mane and those like him are supposedly 'killing' hip-hop, but I really don't mind him.  I can never understand most of the things he mumble-raps but it somehow usually sounds okay.  We all have to give him major credit for working with groups like Dom, too.  This is the direction music is going.  Young artists today don't go to a record store and head straight toward one genre to snap up only their favorite artists.  They don't tune in to one radio station everyday to hear the same songs all the time.  Anyone serious about making music is taking full advantage of all the different types of media access at their disposal.  Because we've gotten used to information saturation, people are extremely open to being influenced by all genres.

I personally love this trend.  The Roots are my favorite group of all time, mainly because they couple a sharp tongued MC with a full live band.  The Blakroc project that paired blues rockers, The Black Keys, with some hip-hop heavyweights was incredible, and I can't wait for the second album.  Chiddy Bang has blown everyone away with their incredible rapper spitting over beats that producer Xaphoon Jones constructs out of indie pop/rock favorites.

Dom's biography quotes him as wanting to be 'the Madonna of garage rock', and they thought getting a few bars from Gucci would help accomplish that.  Good for Dom.  Good for Gucci Mane for that matter, but most of all, good for us.

Saw this track at P&P.

2 comments: