Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Birthday Mix! Birthday Mix!

I can't lose with 22's...

Ok, I don't even know if those are really 22's, but I am today.  What better way to celebrate than to put up a mix of 22 songs?  And since it's my birthday, I can't get in trouble for giving away songs that probably shouldn't be free (I hope).

I had actually been building this list for a while already before I decided today was a good time to share it.  Some of the songs on here are favorites that will never get old for me.  I know them so well that I act like they were radio smashes and get surprised when people haven't heard them.  That's one reason why they're here, though: to be shared.  When I was younger, I used to buy CD's every once in a while.  I'd then listen to them straight through over and over again for weeks or months.  I know all the CD's I own from front to back, all the words and all the melodies.  The digital age and Internet has changed all that for me.

Since I've been in college, and especially in the past year, I almost compulsively download music.  I'm always on the hunt for new and different music that I haven't heard yet.  Whenever I can, I download the whole album, and not just single songs.  It's fun, but then I realize I have all these tracks on my hard drive that I have never listened to.  That's kind of defeating the point.  So I take a step back, and use a different form of music discovery, one that is from within.  No, I don't check my inner chi or catch Zz's till I reach zen, I wait till I have an extended period of time to devote, and I put my entire library on shuffle.  Everything.  I occupy myself with homework or some chore and I just let the music play.  I actively try not to pay attention too closely.  Then, certain songs will jump out and catch my ear.  Those are the keepers.  I put them in a playlist simply entitled 'Cool'.  Over time these become my new old favorites.  It doesn't matter who it's by, as long as it sounds cool.  That's why I have Lil Wayne and 2Pac along with Binary Star and We Are Scientists.  These are the B-sides, the deep cuts, and the last released singles.  That doesn't mean they were made to never be heard.

22 years is where I'm at, let's cheers it with 22 tracks.


Tracklist:
  1. Bloc Party - Helicopter
  2. Wiz Khalifa - Glass House (ft. Curren$y & Big K.R.I.T.)
  3. Binary Star - Slang Blade
  4. Jurassic 5 - Work It Out (ft. Dave Matthews Band)
  5. Franz Ferdinand - Outsiders
  6. Lil Wayne - Shooter
  7. Opio - Granite Earth
  8. Bran Van 3000 - Drinking In LA
  9. Gym Class Heroes - Food For Mic Skills
  10. Sarah Blasko - Hold On My Heart (Presets Remix)
  11. The Herbaliser - Mind In The Frame (ft. Blade)
  12. 88-Keys - The Friends Zone (ft. Shitake Monkey)
  13. Citizen Cope - Bullet And A Target
  14. 2Pac - Heartz Of Men
  15. We Are Scientists - Can't Lose
  16. Kanye West - On 10 In A Benz (ft. Rhymefest)
  17. Saigon - City Rules (ft. Daniel Merriweather)
  18. Snoop Doggy Dog - Gz And Hustlas
  19. Blakroc - Done Did It (ft. Nicole Wray & NOE)
  20. Theophilus London - Starry Eyed (Remix) (Ellie Goulding)
  21. J Dilla - Time: The Donuts Of The Heart
  22. Arctic Monkeys - A Certain Romance
Click to Download

4 comments:

  1. Hello, Alexsaurus Rex!!
    First of all, we like your birthday mix, but we have a question for you- what is the song that is on the radio, so it's fairly new, and it's kind of dancey, almost techno, and I believe a girl is singing on it, but we don't know any of the words. Just the music.
    Sorry this is not very descriptive, but we really want to know
    your followers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edward Maya - Stereo Love (ft. Vika Jigulina)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy2nBvtkgyE

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow that's it!!!! thank you so much Alexsaurus Rex!!!

    ReplyDelete