Tuesday, December 10, 2013

PUYL FAVORITES & Cover Song: Elli Ingram - Poetic Justice

It’s that time of year again, when I finally share all the music that I neglected to post during the past twelve months under the guise of it being some carefully curated Best Of list. In reality, I’ve simply spent the last couple days scouring through the gigs upon gigs of music I downloaded this year, trying to find all the gems that I’ve been hoarding in my treasure hard drive. 2013 was another good year by my musical tastes. Many highly anticipated debut albums were released, surprise newcomers made their mark, and old favorites continued to impress.

I’m actually not a fan of year end lists; what does the end of the year signify in terms of music? Not much. Artists are constantly churning out content. For me, the best songs are the ones that engage me early on, AND still have meaning when I revisit them. Some songs are timeless works of art that can be appreciated even after countless listens. Others may take me back to what was going on in my life when the track came out, and have meaning for me in that way. It might take more than a year to truly define a favorite, so don’t be surprised if November and December releases don’t make as many appearances; there was certainly no lag in quality then.


I’m starting off with some awesome covers from 2013. Hip-hop songs naturally yield the best covers. The rhyme schemes can be reworked to fit any melody and they usually have a sung hook which can also be incorporated however the covering artist sees fit.

Elli Ingram put her spin on “Poetic Justice” by Kendrick Lamar. She closely matches the Janet Jackson sample, then branches off to cover the rapped parts as well.

Listen/Download:

No comments:

Post a Comment